Colleagues,

The next IIIF Archives Community Group call will be on Tuesday, 18 January
2022 at 9 AM PST / 12 PM EST / 17:00 UTC / 18:00 CET.

Dorothy Berry (Houghton Library, Harvard University) will be
presenting on Slavery,
Abolition, Emancipation, and Freedom: Primary Sources at Houghton Library
(SAEF) <http://nrs.harvard.edu/URN-3:HUL.ERESOURCE:SAEF>, a digital
collections and digitization project focused on increasing representation
of African American history in Houghton’s digital collections. Her
presentation will include information on how the SAEF project uses  IIIF to
provide access and contextualize these materials. The presentation will
focus on the use of open IIIF tools to enhance accessibility across broad
collections.

In addition, we’ll introduce our new co-chair, Alison Harvey (Cardiff
University), and have time for announcements.

As always, we're looking for potential demos or presentations related to
IIIF and archives of 10-15 minutes each. Please don't hesitate to let us
know should you be interested and willing to present or demo something on
this or a future call.

Connection details:
https://stanford.zoom.us/j/97950308605?pwd=MUl6dDFqSkhOWkY5b2FjalhSVHI5Zz09
To join via phone: https://zoom.us/u/X6CTDOPc  - Enter Meeting ID:
97950308605; Password: 862574
Agenda:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11BGTkQxTMQtMZmOAAFuo8ZHpnklnqMbmjFnxXFzI-q8/edit#

*About the IIIF Archives Community Group:* The IIIF Archives Community
Group (https://iiif.io/community/groups/archives/) focuses on setting best
practices for using IIIF with archival material, and collaborates
internationally regarding promotion and demonstration of use, exploration
of possibilities and documentation of use cases and requirements, and
communication between the IIIF community and allied professional
communities.

*About IIIF*: The International Image Interoperability Framework (
http://iiif.io), or IIIF, represents an effort by a growing community of
LAMs and image repositories to collaboratively produce an interoperable
technology and community framework for image delivery of materials in any
format (including photographs, digitized manuscripts and archival
materials, born-digital records, audio/video, and more) in
standards-compliant ways that encourage their adaptability and reuse across
a variety of contexts. Enabling access to archival materials through IIIF
offers exciting opportunities for collaborative cross-institution
storytelling, crowdsourcing, display of hierarchically described digital
archival collections, and even enabling researchers to recreate dispersed
collections and create new collections based on specific research questions.

On behalf of the chairs,
Mark

--
Mark A. MATIENZO (they/them) | ✉ [log in to unmask]
Assistant Director for Digital Strategy and Access, Stanford Libraries

*I work from the unceded ancestral lands of the Duwamish people in Seattle,
WA*Schedule a meeting or appointment with me
<https://appointments.library.stanford.edu/appointments/matienzo>