The Description of Born-Digital Material in Finding Aids Project Group of the DLF Born-Digital Access Working Group (BDAWG) is happy to announce its unveiling of the Examples of Born-Digital Description in Finding Aids. This resource links to a collection of finding aids that describe born-digital material and organizes/tags them according to various categories. In addition, the web page provides links to existing guidelines for description of born-digital materials. We hope this resource will serve a dual purpose:

  1. To compile a snapshot of descriptive practices for born-digital materials as of 2022.

  1. To facilitate the creation of born-digital description by providing examples of how other archivists are doing this work.

The project group wholeheartedly invites archivists to contribute additional examples of finding aids with, or guidelines pertaining to, born-digital description. If you know of such a finding aid or set of guidelines, we want to hear from you!

To facilitate contributions to this portal, the subgroup has developed three separate Google forms:

Please be aware that we are only accepting contributions and feedback for a limited time! Specifically, the deadline to contribute is February 28th, 2022.

If you have any questions about this effort, please contact Brenna Edwards ([log in to unmask]) and/or Lara Friedman-Shedlov ([log in to unmask]).

Thank you,

Lara Friedman-Shedlov,

on behalf of the DLF Born-Digital Access Working Group (BDAWG), Description of Born-Digital Material in Finding Aids Project Group.

The DLF Born-Digital Access Working Group (BDAWG), Description of Born-Digital Material in Finding Aids Project Group follows the DLF Code of Conduct and values the participation of each member of the community. We are dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. All communication should be appropriate for a professional audience including people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.

--
Lara D. Friedman-Shedlov    (she / they)  (hear my name)
Digital Records Archivist | Archives & Special Collections