Hello everyone,

Please see the below announcement from our friends at Research Libraries UK.

Best,

Gayle

--

Gayle Schechter, MSLIS | she/her/hers

Program Associate

🍑 Based in Atlanta, GA (Mvskoke land)
The Digital Library Federation (DLF)

Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR)

Alexandria, VA

@CLIRDLF | @akaGladys

My working day may not be your working day. Please don’t feel obliged to reply to this e-mail outside of your normal working hours.

RLUK Digital Shift Forum #RLUKDSF: forthcoming events

The RLUK Digital Shift Forum will host three seminars during the second half of February and March. These will include speakers from Microsoft, the Australian National University, and the National University of Lesotho, each exploring different elements of the digital shift in research collections, services, and technologies.

Seminars are free to attend and are open to all. Visit the RLUK website to see our full programme, for further details of each event, and to register to attend.

Each seminar is recorded and is made available afterwards. Hear from our previous speakers at RLUK DSF on demand.

Further details of these three seminars are below and please do follow the links to the RLUK DSF webpage to register.

16 February 2022, 14.00-15.00 (GMT)

Improving discoverability of knowledge leveraging modern technology

Catherine Devine, Business Strategy Leader – Libraries and Museums, Microsoft

In this session, we’ll explore the possibilities of improving discoverability of collections and information through the use of modern technologies, such as artificial intelligence. Digitizing collections and making them accessible is only scratching the surface of what is possible to understand and access about the world’s knowledge. We’ll paint a vision for the future and the possibilities for humanity that come from increased understanding and access to knowledge, and then drill down to reality and the present day to talk about the improvements to discoverability that can be realized now, building on existing systems and processes.

Register for this event: here

2 March 2022, 10.00-11.00 (GMT)

Making not breaking: a cybernetics approach to responsible AI design

Ellen Broad, Research and Senior Fellow, School of Cybernetics, Australian National University

At Australia’s National University, a new approach to engineering responsible AI systems is being explored, drawing on reinvigorated cybernetic concepts. In this talk, Ellen explores cybernetics – the trans-disciplinary mid 20thcentury movement from which AI and computer science emerged – as an organising framework through which to reconsider how we build, maintain and use AI systems. Drawing on not only the technological elements comprising AI systems, but their human and ecological elements, cybernetics offers a way of reimagining the way we engineer AI today and the role it plays in our future.

Register for this event: here

23 March 2022, 14.00-15.00 (GMT)

Digital initiatives in Africa: creating an environment for digital equity

Dr Buhle Mbambo-Thata, University Librarian, The National University of Lesotho

The African content constitutes 4% of digital content worldwide. Furthermore, 20% of Africa’s population is below the age of 50. The youthfulness of the African population is the hope of the continent. It is anticipated that the youthful population would be consuming and contributing to development of Africa’s digital content. In order to contribute to the development of digital content, Africa and its youth needs, digital environments, infrastructures and digital skills to engage with creation of digital content from Africa. Such development will grow Africa’s content in digital spaces, enabling it to grow beyond 4%, an imperative for social justice. This paper explores Africa wide development initiatives around  digital infrastructure, creation of digital content and development of digital skills that will promote the digital equity in digital knowledge spaces.

Register for this event: here

Missed a seminar? See RLUK-DSF on demand for the recordings of previous events.

We hope to see you at one of these forthcoming events.

With very best wishes,

Matt

Dr Matthew Greenhall

Deputy Executive Director