I would echo Joe’s suggestion to focus on

  1.  Find a long-term repository outside of the project for continuous discovery, access, and reuse of the data that does not require periodic care and feeding from the original team. If there is not a specific disciplinary repository for these data then one of the repositories mentioned by Joe would be a good general repository.

Then, once the data are safely in a repository,

  1.  potentially work on updates to the platform that was developed by the project to provide value-added services on top of the data. As these capabilities typically require the type of investment you are asking about in your original message you want to make sure that this work is separate from the long-term preservation, discovery, and access provided by an appropriate repository.

This split strategy allows you to decouple the foundation of discovery and access from applications that are based on the data, ensuring that there is a baseline of availability that is assured, even if the value-added services end up being discontinued.

Thanks,
Karl

Karl Benedict
Director of Research Data Services/ Director of IT
College of University Libraries and Learning Sciences
University of New Mexico

Office: Centennial Science and Engineering Library, Room L173

Make an Appointment: https:[log in to unmask]
Where am I working? Shared work location calendar<https:[log in to unmask]>