On May 13, 2022, at 7:36 PM, Martin, Will <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> All,
>
> For many years, one of our catalogers had a small microfiche viewer on her desk - a Northwest Microfilm model 14.  It was ancient, 100% analog, and perfectly adequate to her work.
>
> A couple days ago it gave up the ghost.  The optics will no longer focus - the physical bits are just worn to the point where they no longer hold their position.

Are there any machine shops on your campus?  They might be able to make replacement gears for you.

(A good machinist can maintain all of the machining equipment they use, but not all universities keep them on staff anymore; I would check either the engineering school or if there’s a property/facility maintenance group… but engineering typically going to be able to make smaller parts; sciences might have machinists if they do a lot of research and need things built, too)

It might also be possible with 3D printers, but I don’t know what the durability would be, so it might be more trouble than it’s worth.

-Joe