From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Eric Lease
Morgan
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 11:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] file too large

I need help uncompressing a tar file.  8-D

I have a 67 GB tar file. I believe it contains about 700,000 files equally
distributed between two subdirectories. When I try to uncompress the tar
file, I eventually get a repeated "file too large" error looking like this:

 tar:
document_parses/pdf_json/40afe13d64d6a5ef6640537e9f2334c0d86dfa88.json:
Cannot open: File too large

tar uncompresses many of the files, but not all of them. It seems to get
stuck on the file names that are rather long. In the subdirectories, where
the files are being stored, the number of files is above 28,000. The files
are being saved on an AFS file system.

I can't believe the file names are too long since all of the files have same
length of file name. Nor, is my file system (quota) full.

What is going on here? What file is too large?

--
Eric Morgan
University of Notre Dame