Hello list mates,
I'm starting a digitization project that will use some sort of 2D barcode to encode an accession record string that will be printed and arranged next to archival items (slide box sleeves) then imaged with a camera. The 2D barcode in the image will be read by a Python script to rename the image using the barcode string and to populate a database of the images. The barcode will be affixed to a slide-shaped separator and placed with the slides contained by the box in new archival housing boxes. The accession records are made of 16-24 characters and we have a square inch or more of space to place the 2D barcode. We have 2D barcode scanners that can handle either format.

My question to you: do you have a reason to favor QR codes vs Data Matrix? I'm leaning towards DM because I've used that for other applications for ephemeral item tracking. On the other hand, I'm more familiar with the options for generating and reading QR codes with Python (and ZBar) vs DM (I'll be trying out pylibdmtx). Is either 2D barcode standard more prevalent in the archive or library domains?

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences, etc. are appreciated!
Jason

Jason Best
Director of Biodiversity Informatics
Botanical Research Institute of Texas