On Jun 16, 2022, at 11:54 AM, Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I need help uncompressing a tar file...

I believe I have resolved this problem.

Indeed, I believe AFS was getting confused by both the number of files and the lengths of the file names. To overcome this problem, I:

  1. copied the tar file to my (Macintosh) desktop
  2. uncompressed it
  3. used the attached Perl script to subdivide the desired
     files into subdirectories (because the number of files
     is too big and the file names are too long for single
     AFS directory entries)
  4. zipped up the subdirectories
  5. copied the zip file back to the AFS space
  6. uncompressed the whole

All of this is good enough for me; fun with high performance computing.

By the way, my Macintosh successfully uncompressed the archive, but the resulting file system was seemingly created as read-only. Weird, but functional. Maybe it was doing me a favor?

--
Eric Morgan
University of Notre Dame