Dear NDSA Community,

The NDSA website has long featured a webpage that displays both a map and table of NDSA members. This is a very useful outreach feature to indicate the scope of NDSA participation, particularly as we expand our membership reach internationally.  This map and table are generated by a Ruby rake task from the Google Form that collects NDSA membership applications. (The NDSA website is a Jekyll site run via GitHub pages, the source code is online.) In the years since this webpage was created, Google has incrementally increased security measures that have made keeping this page updated a challenge. In short, the rake task uses an outdated authentication method that Google no longer supports. At the moment, there is only one computer that can still run this rake task.

NDSA is seeking a volunteer for a short-term project to re-envision the membership listing and mapping function in a manner makes it easier to maintain. This could be as simple as modifying the existing rake task to use current authentication methods, but we’re also open to other innovative ways and technological approaches for visualizing membership information in an automated and sustainable manner. If you are interested and able, please reply to this message and I’ll follow up with you.

Thanks,

Nathan

Chair, NDSA

--

Nathan Tallman (he/him)

Digital Preservation Librarian

Penn State University Libraries

(814) 865-0860

[log in to unmask]" title="https:[log in to unmask]">Schedule a Meeting

[log in to unmask]">Chat with me on Teams

The Pennsylvania State University campuses are located on the original homelands of the Erie, Haudenosaunee (Seneca, Cayuga, Onondaga, Oneida, Mohawk, and Tuscarora), Lenape (Delaware Nation, Delaware Tribe, Stockbridge-Munsee), Shawnee (Absentee, Eastern, and Oklahoma), Susquehannock, and Wahzhazhe (Osage) Nations.  As a land grant institution, we acknowledge and honor the traditional caretakers of these lands and strive to understand and model their responsible stewardship. We also acknowledge the longer history of these lands and our place in that history.

There are many ways to help strengthen American Indian economies and build healthy Native communities. Find out more at https://www.firstnations.org/ways-to-give/.