I administer several Google Groups and this is incorrect - you absolutely
need a Google Account in order to subscribe to *and participate in* any
Google Group. Google's Support page confirms:
https://support.google.com/groups/answer/1067205

Note that this doesn't mean you need a Google *email address*. You can
register any email address with Google and create a Google account - it
does not need to be a Gmail. You can use your institutional address to
create an account with Google and subscribe to lists (and I know many
people who do just that). But you do need to create an account with Google,
and that's going to be a barrier for some people. Up to you to decide if
it's an insurmountable one or not.

Thanks,
-Shanna

===