Good morning everyone,

Thank you for providing your thoughts on the need of certifications in our line of work.  Our IT person feels the same and has been working in the IT field for a hot minute, even though he just finished his degree in CIS about a year ago.  He comes with a lot of experience and like many of you, said the main reason people really amp up on certifications is to find a better job.  As someone that used to work in a Pearson Testing Center for a few years, there are times where certifications are required for employment.  For example, many gov't contractor jobs require the Sec+.  There are some practical certs like AWS certs or Microsoft where it is strongly suggested they are acquired if you desire to move up and out of the help desk arena.  As you all know, that is not the situation for most library IT personnel.

Like the rest of us in the library community, he is continually expanding his knowledge and skill set, especially now working with library e-resources & products.  It is possible that he can get away with providing certificates of completion for mini-training sessions and webinars.

Thank you again for your thoughts.  And now, I am off to conquer the world, one keystroke at a time.😀

-Tina

​Kristina Bing, MLIS
Librarian, Sentara Healthcare Library
757.388.3693

Disclaimer:

This electronic message and its contents and attachments contain information from Sentara Healthcare and is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee only.

If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original message and all copies.