Dear Colleagues,

What is the likelihood of Electromagnetic Security in libraries becoming obsolete in the near future?  An upcoming renovation project to one of our libraries is forcing me to either commit lots of money to an RFID tagging project, gates, and workstations or remain using tattle tape and EM-based security gates, desensitizers, etc.

I have been told that tattle-tape technology is becoming obsolete, parts for EM security gates are hard to find and new EM gates are less frequently installed. Is that true?

I understand the many benefits of RFID but in a tight budget scenario my biggest concern is making a lower cost commitment to EM technology only to have to replace it in a few years.

Thanks for any wisdom.

Ed
Library IT
Marquette University