Also, phones are able to connect to multiple types of networks (makes
sense: they need to work in areas where there's one type and not another).
In my experience, there will be an indicator in the top icon bar, or at
least information in Settings, showing what network the phone is currently
on.

Aside to Thomas Edelbute: yes, AT&T retired its 3g network earlier this
year. You now need a phone that not only supports 4g and up, but is
whitelisted for their 4g network.