Hi,

I am also interested in getting a better understanding of Matomo.  I am
collecting
analytics for about 40 public libraries, running Google Analytics, Matomo,
and another
program, Clicky, in parallel for all of them; my original hope was to
validate Google Analytics
results.  I do gain some insights, and this setup is useful for drilling
down on anomalies like
robot traffic bulges, but mostly I see variation.  Each program gives me
*comparable* results that I
wish were more closely aligned; side-by-side comparisons are more confusing
than revealing to me.
My basic conclusion is that none of these analytics programs can be called
accurate, they each
interpret visits or users in their own way, and I'm pretty sure they all
use a one-way or
'unreliable' socket protocol, so, unlike with a server log, I can't assume
every item served is
represented.  I'd like to develop better confidence in these analytics
programs by getting a deeper
understanding of how they really work.  Thanks,

peter

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 11:14 AM Heidi J. Webb <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Chad and others,
>
> I'm interested as well! We've been testing Matomo too with some struggles
> with usage reporting.
>
> We noticed that Matomo is not tracking all hits. At first, I thought maybe
> google analytics was tracking more bots or something but my team
> purposefully went to a bunch of sites one day recently and only usage from
> one of the 5 devices we were using regardless of browser or location was
> tracked and logged.
>
> This is currently on my list to investigate more and it sounds like Chad
> has dug in much more deeply but since the topic made the listserv, I would
> welcome input.
>
> Heidi
>
> Heidi Webb | Discovery and Technology Services
> Upstate Medical University | [log in to unmask]

Peter Velikonja
Head of Research, Koios LLC
http://www.koios.co
*Let's reconnect public libraries with the public.*