Hi,

Fun topic.  I got into programming about 35 years ago because I wanted
to solve specific problems (in music) -- so I was drawn in not by
programming itself,
but by a sustaining passion.  I believe that a focused hunger is needed to
get through the thousands of hours of frustration that programming can
require.  Find a project you care about.

Take a course.  Most hackers I have known taught themselves, but a course
will expose
you to basic issues and techniques.  If you work at an institution, sign up
for the
intro course.  Bear in mind that programming is a dying art, computer
programs
just keep getting bigger and more complex, and humans can't keep up.
Computers
already write computer programs, SkyNet is already here.

A minor correction: computers are not eco-friendly, and paper books, in
comparison,
represent a better use of resources.  They are more durable, portable, and
efficient.
Put a tablet on a shelf for 50 years and see if it gives you anything.
Good luck :)

peter

--

Peter Velikonja