Hi Patrick,

Clearly, folks here have some strong feelings on this topic.

My advice is that you inventory your basic skills, set your goals, and
create a plan. Clearly, unless you can come up with a unique and essential
product, or claw your way to the top of a vendor organization, you are not
going to get rich in the library business. I got involved with the internet
and libraries before the web, and later built my business on that
foundation. I've had a lot of fun doing it.

I was fortunate to get some introduction to computer science in school, in
the age of punchcards and building-sized computers less powerful than my
watch. CS is much different now, but still it is a good place to start. It
doesn't matter if you go to a Community College or to MIT, as long as your
instructors are engaging.I learned Fortran and assembler, then C, then
Basic (non-visual), and moved on from there. I spent a lot of time
mastering SQL, and found that my math background came in very handy there.
When I started working with libraries, I found that the many faces of XML,
and markup languages, in general, were very useful and brought me a lot of
opportunities,

I also spent a lot of time learning about computers and their operating
systems. I learned Unix by working on my first web server, a DEC Alpha,
then using a Sun workstation. This put me in good stead for working on the
Linux-based servers that we use now.

I think that the key is to keep your ear to the ground, and stay up-to-date
with new tech. Code4libCon, BTW, is a great place to do that.

Feel free to reach out.

Thanks,

Cary

--