From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Peter Velikonja
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2022 8:39 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Circulation clerk learning to code.

[You don't often get email from [log in to unmask] Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

Hi,

Fun topic.  I got into programming about 35 years ago because I wanted to solve specific problems (in music) -- so I was drawn in not by programming itself, but by a sustaining passion.  I believe that a focused hunger is needed to get through the thousands of hours of frustration that programming can require.  Find a project you care about.

Take a course.  Most hackers I have known taught themselves, but a course will expose you to basic issues and techniques.  If you work at an institution, sign up for the intro course.  Bear in mind that programming is a dying art, computer programs just keep getting bigger and more complex, and humans can't keep up.
Computers
already write computer programs, SkyNet is already here.

A minor correction: computers are not eco-friendly, and paper books, in comparison, represent a better use of resources.  They are more durable, portable, and efficient.
Put a tablet on a shelf for 50 years and see if it gives you anything.
Good luck :)

peter

--

Peter Velikonja