Windows 11 includes a mixture of native apps and what Microsoft calls universal apps.  Notepad, paint -- these have transitioned to the windows store as universal apps.  You have a couple options to make shortcuts.

Paint for example (but this works for any universal app):

Method 1:

1. On the desktop, right click and select Create Shortcut
2. Set path to mspaint .. click next
3. MS Paint as the name
4. Finish

You'll get a generic shortcut -- icon will use a generic app icon

Method 2:

1. Click the windows button
2. All apps
3. Find Paint in the list
4. Drag the icon to the desktop

Method 3:

1. Click Window key + R and type shell:appsfolder
2. This will show all apps (native and universal) -- find the app you want to create a shortcut to
3. Select it, right click, select create shortcut (usually the last entry in the context menu)

--tr