James Madison University Libraries<https://www.lib.jmu.edu/> in Harrisonburg, Virginia, welcomes applications for the role of Digital Archivist. The hiring range for this position is $60,000-$65,000.

The Digital Archivist is a four-year, full-time Administrative & Professional Faculty position funded by the Flowerings Phase II grant<https://www.lib.jmu.edu/flowerings>, with a generous benefits package and possibility of extension or conversion to a permanent role, pending continued funding.

The position will support efforts to ensure the preservation, enhanced discoverability, global access, and ongoing stewardship of the Furious Flower Poetry Center’s audiovisual materials. The Digital Archivist will work closely with JMU Special Collections<https://www.lib.jmu.edu/special/> to steward Furious Flower Poetry Center<https://www.jmu.edu/furiousflower/index.shtml>’s extensive and unique collection of Black poetry and spoken word video. The successful candidate will contribute to existing digital processing workflows and work collaboratively with Libraries colleagues to develop and enhance workflows following best practices.

The Furious Flower Poetry Center audiovisual materials record the Furious Flower Poetry Center’s decennial conferences, beginning with the first historic convening in 1994. As the nation’s first academic center for Black poetry, Furious Flower convenes every 10 years for scholars and writers to explore contemporary trends in Black literature, culture, and thought. Audiovisual materials include scholarly panels, critical roundtables, readings by prominent poets, and interviews with Black artists. This position will focus not only on accessioning and describing the Furious Flower audiovisual materials but also on engaging in reparative description grounded in a participatory archives framework in partnership with Furious Flower Poetry Center colleagues. The archivist will also collaborate with Special Collections on pre-custodial intervention and the accessioning of digital audiovisual materials documenting Furious Flower’s next decennial conference in 2024.

The Libraries particularly welcomes applicants who can enhance the diversity and excellence of our campus community, and who can demonstrate a commitment to building equitable and inclusive environments for teaching, learning, research, and service. We are committed to cultivating a welcoming place for everyone, encouraging dialogue and celebrating diverse life experiences and perspectives. We encourage experimentation and creativity in pursuit of meaningful solutions that build on our position as core academic infrastructure for our campus community.

For the full posting and to apply, visit https://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/13570. Review of applications will begin on January 17, 2023.

Caitlin Birch, MA, MSLIS
Assistant Professor | Director of Digital Scholarship and Distinctive Collections
JMU Libraries<https://www.lib.jmu.edu/> | James Madison University<https://www.jmu.edu/index.shtml>
Carrier Library 107G | 540-568-2885 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | she/her