[log in to unmask]" alt="IU Scholars' Commons">

Wednesday Noon Digital Scholarship Series

From Plants to Glaciers: Mapping and Photographing Russian Imperial Borderlands

February 8, 2023 | 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm

Herman B Wells Library, Hazelbaker Hall

& via Zoom

Dr. Tatiana Saburova, Lecturer, History;

Co-Director, Russian Studies Workshop

Indiana University Bloomington

Register for More Information

This digital project is a part of my larger research project on exploration and photography in the Russian empire’s borderlands in Siberia and Central Asia (Mapping and Photographing Asiatic Russia: Imperial Landscapes of Exploration) and it will serve as an analytical instrument to bring data from different disciplines to visualize research results and make this project available to scholars and general public. This project aims to develop a digital map with data, using georeferencing, to link texts, historic maps, and photographs to examine scientific exploration and colonization of the Semirechie region in Central Asia in the early 20thcentury. This project will locate and visualize expeditions led by Prof. Vasilii Sapozhnikov (1862-1924), a botanist and glaciologist, and give a new possibility for complex interdisciplinary analysis of his findings and representations of the region. When this project is completed, it can be used for further analysis of the environmental transformation of landscape if it is linked with other data, including scientific records and aerial photography. This project can be also used as a prototype for analysis and visualization of other expeditions, like Sapozhnikov’s expeditions to the Altai mountains.

This research project links history of science and exploration, history of the Russian empire and its borderlands in Asia, visual studies, environmental studies, and spatial history, examining writings, photographs, and maps produced as a result of the expeditions in Jeti-su [Semirechie] in the late 19th-early 20th century. It aims to identify a role of scientific exploration in imperial colonization of the region and how explorations in geography, geology, glaciology, and botany represented the region as a territory and a natural resource to be incorporated into the empire. I will present this work-in-progress discussing steps taken, reflecting on the learning curves and research experience creating a database to collect and organize data I need for making ArcGIS web map, learning ArcGIS Pro for mapping the expeditions to Semirechie and Altai and using ArcGIS StoryMaps applications to visualize and present my research.

The Wednesday Noon Digital Scholarship Series is held Wednesdays from12:00-1:00 pm EST. The complete schedule, including abstracts, is available at: https://libraries.indiana.edu/wednesday-noon-digital-scholarship-series. Register for each session for more information, including access to the Zoom link.

To receive a reminder and an abstract for each presentation, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message body: SUBSCRIBE wednesday-noon-l Your Full Name or visit

Instructions: At IU, what is Zoom, and how do I know how to use it? [UITS KB]

or, How do I join a Zoom meeting? [vendor documentation]

For full Wednesday Noon Digital Scholarship Series schedule, please visit