Joe,

I agree with your argument.  Maybe this would do (for Windows).

https://pdfencrypt.net/

Free and open-source.  Just feed it the PDF and a password and mail the file.  The recipient can use free, Adobe Reader (and many other PDF readers -- possibly Chrome/Firefox?) to decrypt and display it.

Erich

On Thursday, April 6, 2023 at 11:05, Joe Hourclé eloquently inscribed: