In my academic library, we recently looked at new repository solutions and I had searched high and low for university libraries that used it and didn’t find any. Upon further research, we realized that CKAN is really meant for organizational data producers like governments or NGOs, because the organization — not individual author(s) — is the authorial unit.

Tl;dr: It means a lot less metadata about individual authors and complicated user authorization levels.

There were some other minor flaws, but that did it for us.

Sarah Swanz