SAVE THE DATE: May 24, 2023 - International Seminar on Digital Ethics.
Making Empathy, Equity and Diversity Relevant for Digital Ethics Seminar

Organized by Centre for Excellence on Empathy, Equity & Diversity

10 AM (EST) | 3 PM (UK) | 4 PM Nigeria |
25 May 12 AM (Sydney)
Zoom-based

KEY TOPICS
▪ Urgent: Ensuring an Ethical AI including ChatGPT
▪ Preserving health equity in a digitalised society: regional and global implications
▪ Digital Ethics in Information Industry. Panel Discussion
▪ Cybersecurity. Interactive Workshop

Thought Leaders
  • Laura-Edythe S. Coleman (USA)
  • Stephen Abram (Canada)
  • Claudia Pagliari (UK)
  • Juliana Obiageri AKIDI  (Nigeria)
  • Kelley Rowan (USA)
  • Yusuf J. Mansuri (Australia)
  • Abdul Rehman Sait (USA)

How are empathy, equity, and diversity (aka infostructure) relevant for technology (aka infrastructure)? And, more specifically, its relevance to digital ethics? Further, how values or moral principles are related to corporate businesses -- in terms of corporate social responsibilities?
Technology is undeniably dominating our daily life. But the digital inequities on the rise took a newer shape and form in the recent era of the pandemic, emerging recession, and the ongoing global health crises. Lockdown and distancing created the biggest challenges for the have-nots, the vulnerable, and the like.
Social justice calls for a newer conversation in this emerging new next normal. In short, empathy (feeling/treating human beings as we are feeling/treated), equity (fairness and openness in dealing with others as we expect for ourselves), and diversity (recognizing that we are just the same but different in behavior and attitudes be it race, ethnicity, etc.), raise the urgent questions and demand answers about corporate social responsibilities -- in terms of ethical obligations in infrastructural concepts, contexts, and so in designing, building and launching digital products? And how does society find a coherent ethical framework to ensure that corporates will do better?

Welcome Speech by Laura-Edythe S. Coleman (USA)

CEEED Board Member

Assistant Professor, Director, Arts Administration & Museum Leadership, Graduate Program, Department of Arts & Entertainment Enterprise, Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts & Design, Drexel University

Topic: Urgent: Ensuring an Ethical AI including ChatGPT

Stephen Abram is a renowned information industry leader, writer, and consultant based in Canada.

Topic: Preserving health equity in a digitalised society: regional and global implications

Claudia Pagliari, PhD FRCPE, Usher Institute and Centre for Population Health Sciences, The University of Edinburgh.

Digital Ethics in Information Industry. Panel Discussion. Moderated by Abdul Rehman Sait. Senior application production support, AT&T.

Juliana Obiageri AKIDI, PhD, University Librarian Alex Ekwueme Federal University, Ndufu-Alike Ikwo (AE-FUNAI) Ebonyi State-Nigeria.

Kelley Rowan, Florida International University Digital Archives Librarian, GL 818 Digital Collection Center, Green Library, Florida. Topic: Ethics and Privacy in Digital Archives.

Workshop: Cybersecurity

Workshop Facilitated by : Yusuf J. Mansuri, CEO, Consultech Pty Ltd Consultech Australia

In this Seminar, we continue our conversation series to unbox social and digital inequities. Furthermore, we will explore the topic of Digital Ethics and the gaps in inclusion, belonging, and diversity.
This program covers an exciting and diverse range of themes with an incredible lineup of speakers, a workshop, and a vast array of opportunities for learning, sharing, and connecting with others. Technology and people's trust in compliance with ethics of digital conduct by institutions relate to the relevance of empathy, equity, etc.
The basic idea is to have an open conversation on digital trust: as well as digital and cultural inequities, as a move toward social justice.

Best regards,

Dr. Mohamed Taher, DLitt.

Certificate Records & Info Mgmt. Practice. University of Toronto.

Centre for Excellence on Empathy, Equity & Diversity (CEEED)'s Co-Chair