Hi Lindsey,

In my experience, the overarching terms like curation and stewardship never
have satisfactory definitions because each organization that claims to do
them also has very different underlying processes. I've run into similar
problems with DAM, digital preservation, and digital archives. It doesn't
help that the definitions tend to be so abstract in their own usage of
words.

For example, on the DCC Curation Lifecycle Model there is a second ring
that alternates between curate and preserve. That makes it seem like either
half of the activities (according to the second circle) or all of the
activities (according to the name of the model) are curation.

Internally, my greatest vocab success has been to pick a term, define the
activities that I want that term to encompass, and be ready to repeat the
term and the activities as often as necessary. E.g. Digital preservation at
NYPL exists to ensure the long-term accessibility of digital objects in the
collection by supporting their acquisition or creation and managing their
ingest and storage.

If your committee is in a quagmire comparing the meaning of these terms,
maybe it would be better get the committee to pick the term that sounds
best to them and then require that it is used exclusively.

-Nick