The June 2023 issue
<https://ejournals.bc.edu/index.php/ital/issue/view/1309> of Information
Technology and Libraries (ITAL) was published on Monday, June 19.

Later this summer, ITAL is moving to a new provider. Other than the
journal's URLs, nothing is changing. Now and in the future,
https://italjournal.org/ will get you to the journal’s front page. If you
would like to receive an email when the September 2023 issue is published
at our new location, create a user account by going to our current user
registration page <https://ejournals.bc.edu/index.php/ital/user/register>.
Make sure you check the “Yes, I would like to be notified of new
publications and announcements” box near the bottom of the sign-up page.
When the September issue is available, you will be among the first to know.
For more details about what will, and will not, change as a result of this
move, please see the March 2023 Letter from the Editors
<https://doi.org/10.6017/ital.v42i1.16319>.

This issue includes the next in our ongoing Public Libraries Leading the
Way series, “Community-Driven Programming: Offering Coding and Robotics
Classes in Your Library <https://doi.org/10.6017/ital.v42i2.16619>” by Mary
Carrier. This column highlights the author’s experience creating a coding
club for kids and teens at the Schenectady, New York, Mohawk Valley Library
System.

Peer-reviewed articles in this issue are:

Supporting Faculty’s Instructional Video Creation Needs for Remote
Teaching: A Case Study on Implementing eGlass Technology in a Library
Multimedia Studio Space <https://doi.org/10.6017/ital.v42i2.15201> / Hanwen
Dong

In 2021, alongside seven colleges at the University of Idaho campus, the
University of Idaho Library received an eGlass system (https://eglass.io)
with funding from the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Grant to expand
faculty’s capacity to create instructional videos. The eGlass is a
transparent glass whiteboard that allows instructors to write, draw, and
annotate. It comes with a built-in camera that can capture instructors’
facial expressions and gestures while facing their remote students and
allow better engagement. The eGlass is suitable for creating asynchronous
instructional videos for flipped classrooms and integrating Zoom for
synchronous online classes. This article details the eGlass equipment
setup, studio space optimization, outreach efforts and initiatives, usage
examples of early adopters, lessons learned during the first year of the
eGlass deployment, and future considerations.

Technology Integration in Storytime Programs: Provider Perspectives
<https://doi.org/10.6017/ital.v42i2.15701> / Maria Cahill, Erin Ingram, and
Soohyung Joo

Technology use is widespread in the lives of children and families, and
parents and caregivers express concern about children’s safety and
development in relation to technology use. Children’s librarians have a
unique role to play in guiding the technology use of children and families,
yet little is known about how public library programs facilitate children’s
digital literacy. This study sought to uncover librarians’ purposes for
using technology in programs with young children as well as the supporting
factors and barriers they encountered in attempting to do so. Findings
reveal 10 purposes for integrating technology into public library storytime
programs and 15 factors across four dimensions that facilitate and/or
inhibit its inclusion. If librarians are to embrace the media mentor role
with confidence and the necessary knowledge and skills required of the
task, much greater attention should be devoted to the responsibility and
more support in the way of professional development and resources is
necessary.

A Tale of Two Tools: Comparing LibKey Discovery to Quicklinks in Primo VE /
<https://doi.org/10.6017/ital.v42i2.16253>Jill K. Locascio and Dejah Rubel

Consistent delivery of full-text content has been a challenge for libraries
since the development of online databases. Library systems have attempted
to meet this challenge, but link resolvers and early direct linking tools
often fell short of patron expectations. In the last several years, a new
generation of direct linking tools has appeared, two of which will be
discussed in this article: Third Iron’s LibKey Discovery and Quicklinks by
Ex Libris, a Clarivate company. The way we configured our discovery
interface, a resource cannot receive both the LibKey and Quicklinks PDF
links. These two direct linking tools were chosen because they were both
relatively new to the market in April 2021 when this analysis took place
and they can both be integrated into Primo VE, the library discovery system
of choice at the authors’ home institutions of SUNY College of Optometry
and Ferris State University. Through analysis of the frequency of direct
links, link success rate, and number of clicks, this study may help
determine which product is most likely to meet your patrons’ needs.
Contributing to the Journal

We invite all readers to contribute to the journal. If you are involved in
any aspect of libraries—we consider this an inclusive scope, including
cultural memory institutions such as museums, archives, and more—we welcome
submissions for peer-reviewed articles or communications. Information
Technology and Libraries is proud to be diamond open access -- that is, it
is free to read for all, charges no article processing fees to authors or
their institutions, and content is published under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/>. Want to know more? See
our Call for Submissions
<https://ejournals.bc.edu/index.php/ital/call-for-submissions>. If you have
questions or wish to bounce ideas off the editor and assistant editor,
please contact either of us at the email addresses below.

If you have questions or want to learn more about publishing with ITAL,
please contact either the journal’s Editor (Ken Varnum, [log in to unmask])
or Assistant Editor (Marisha Kelly, [log in to unmask]).

Sincerely,

Ken Varnum, Editor
Marisha Kelly, Assistant Editor
*Information Technology and Libraries <http://italjournal.org/>*