On Jul 16, 2023, at 1:08 PM, charles meyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My esteemed listmates,
>
> To protect a good person who’s proven vulnerable to financial predators, I’m trying to ascertain if there is a cell phone which only dials out to 911 for emergencies?

Yes.  Any cell phone that has power and can find a cell tower can call 911, even if the user isn’t paying for service.

There used to be charities that would collect up old cell phones and chargers to give to domestic violence victims specifically for this purpose.

(And old phones are better for this… some of them had a 2 week standby time… although they might have been 2G, and some carriers have taken out 2G support)

Also note that there have been problems with this in the past… older phones don’t send e911 (location data) so someone who gives an older phone to a kid to play with can *really* piss of emergency services, as they can’t do anything about some kid calling them repeatedly.

-Joe

Sent from a mobile device with a crappy on screen keyboard and obnoxious "autocorrect"