On Sep 21, 2023, at 2:29 PM, Amy Schuler wrote:

> does anyone use the tar command to group files anymore?  I'm looking to
> group some .docx files together to archive in a system that does not use
> folder hierarchies.  I'm thinking of doing this without compression.
> Thoughts/comments, or good alternatives?

If I understand your question, tar does exactly what you describe. Given a set of files -- saved in zero or more directories or not -- tar (tape archive) will combine the files into a single file sans compression. The resulting file will be binary in nature and therefore not easily readable by a text editor, but there are a gazillion tar applications making the resulting tar file inherently untar-able. --Eric Morgan <[log in to unmask]>