>>>>>>>From:    Kayla Abner <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: DSpace multiple frontends?

Hello all,

I have a question about possibly using DSpace as a "database" / server and whether or not we could design multiple frontends that draw from it. Here's the ideal situation I have in mind:

   1. A faculty member wants to build a "digital archive" for their stuff
   2. We upload their stuff into our DSpace instance
   3. We or they design a unique frontend for people to interact with the
   stuff in DSpace.

For step 3, could this be done in Omeka? Wordpress? Something else? This would enable each "archive" to have its own plane of existence on the internet, and allow for customization if someone wants a map, or drop-down menus to search the archive, etc., depending on their needs.

I usually recommend things like Airtable, Omeka, and eHive for this type of project, but more and more these platforms don't meet the needs of academics. I have an intermediate understanding of hosting and websites, so I appreciate any ideas you all have!