Have you ever watched Apollo Robbins give a demonstration of pickpocketing?  (e.g. https://www.ted.com/talks/apollo_robbins_the_art_of_misdirection)  It doesn't really matter what "technical" protections you have (e.g. inside pocket, button/zipper/clasp).  He is successful because of psychology.  The man steals eyeglasses from people who can't see without them... and they don't notice!

The skill of a good fraudster is not technical.  It is social/psychological.  Thus adding a VPN (technical hurdle) into the mix is essentially meaningless for fraud.  A VPN gives you privacy against a technical attack from someone owning or already compromising the network you are using.  Putting an extra lock on your door doesn't stop a con-man from convincing you to open it.  The only real solution for fraud is training and -- unfortunately -- suspicion and distrust.

Erich

On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 20:51, Charles Meyer eloquently inscribed: