We have a laptop loan program, with two levels, semester loan, and a 24 hour loan.

Funding / budget
Initial was grants, especially COVID related.  Besides that, retired staff laptops can enter the mix of laptops loaned

Software supplied / admin access / management tools
Software: O365 tools, Adobe tools are the basics
Admin:  24 hour loan, no user admin access. Semester: user must come in, log in once, then systems staff adds users as a local admin
Management:
both: Windows Defender, GoToAssist, nessus, Carbon Black.
24 hour: add smart shield.  Anything saved on hard drive is lost upon reboot, ALL data must be saved on USB or OneDrive, google drive, etc

Processes and time spent when a laptop is returned
Semester: machine put in pile for systems.  Systems re-images with default system image, then returns to available use pile for access services
24 hour: Reboot, check for physical damage, if damage leave for systems department review.  Otherwise, return to available pile

Loan rules / circulation / fines and fees
Semester:
request queue starts 4 weeks before semester starts.
Simple web form and database, used to track between access and systems
Used to track how many available, when user will be coming in to pick up, how many on standby users (if no one picks up, they get their chance)
Ends 1 week after semester ends.
MUST request anew EACH semester.
VERY popular program, regularly run out of these before semester starts

24 hour:
Ask at circ desk, get laptop/charger/bag if available
Return within 24 hours

Not sure of fines/fees.  If an extended duration, then been a few cases where police get involved as potential theft due to policies above the library.

Partnerships with other departments / role of Library / role of IT
Coordinated a bit from campus IT, especially helping with custom designed image for reimaging quickly
Library primary IT, but primary use support is via campus IT
Library 100% in charge of distribution and maintenance

Number of computers vs. patron population / % of laptops checked out / # of lost or damaged computers
I believe our current student population is approximately 35k this year.  Semester laptops available I believe (but not sure), about 250.  ALL get taken, every semester
Not sure how many in pool of 24 hour laptops
Usually maybe 5 truly damaged machines requiring true repair over the case of a full year.
Many more turned in as "not working" and found a quick reimage or reboot solves the issue, and able to be reissued.

Success stories.
VERY popular.  Popular with head of library, popular with Provost, popular with student body.
Earned us a LOT of good will.

Anything else?

Hope this helps

  This email originated outside of The University of Texas at San Antonio.
  Please exercise caution when clicking on links or opening attachments.

Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in getting information about the details and practicalities of laptop loan programs. Anything you can share that's working or not would be appreciated. If you have comments on just some of the topics below that would be great. Additionally, if you get any input from your IT staff about any of these things that is great too. I'm happy to post a summary to the list.

Here are some categories I'm interested in hearing about.

Funding / budget

Software supplied / admin access / management tools

Processes and time spent when a laptop is returned

Loan rules / circulation / fines and fees

Partnerships with other departments / role of Library / role of IT

Number of computers vs. patron population / % of laptops checked out / # of lost or damaged computers

Success stories.

Anything else?

Contact of anyone who would be willing to chat more about this.

Thanks so much!

Ann Kucera (she, hers)
Manager of Library Systems
Adobe Digital Lounge Coordinator
Park Library 204A  |  Central Michigan University  |  Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
P: 989-774-2404  |  E: [log in to unmask]
http://www.cmich.edu/