There's also #3, connecting to a network so you can access its internal
resources. For example, OpenVPN can be installed on the router in an office
or a server in AWS, and then employees working from home can access the
machines in that office's LAN or AWS virtual network.

However, this is not a scenario relevant to the particular patron
described! I agree with the other comments that a VPN isn't necessary for
the use case of just paying bills. It would be more helpful for her to
learn how to check that a connection is secure with a valid certificate,
and how to check domain names to make sure she hasn't landed on a scammer's
webpage from an email she thought was a bill from her bank.

-Tamara

--

Tamara Marnell
Program Manager, Systems