I mostly use VPN as an extra layer between man in the middle attacks (or as
a quick way to spoof being off-campus for testing proxy servers or Open
Athens). With secure HTTPS being a thing, the actual need for a VPN is
somewhat reduced, but I figure it can't hurt, especially since Tunnelbear
makes setting it up and using it simple.

Erich's security analysis of VPNs is something I'd not considered, but I
rather doubt it applies in this situation. Not saying a breach couldn't
happen, but for someone who only needs it for a short time once a month, a
VPN seems like a sufficient additional security option.

Good luck.
Tom