From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2023 10:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] AI Governance / Ethical and Responsible AI Use

EXTERNAL MESSAGE

On Nov 20, 2023, at 10:29 AM, Ray Voelker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Does anyone belong to an org -- or know of one -- that has written /
> established any guidelines around the use of AI in the context of library
> data and staff use?

Please remind me. When Internet search engines/indexes appeared on the scene, were here investigations and guidelines regarding the ethical use of such things? I'm not sure, but I think there were. "It should not be so easy to get the answers to your questions. People ought to read books and make the decisions for themselves". If there were such investigations and guidelines, then how did they ulimately manifest themselves? What sorts of conclusions were the result? Maybe that is when we -- the library profession -- shifted from bibliographic instruction mode to information literacy mode?

In short, what is old is new again?

--
Eric Morgan
University of Notre Dame