**Apologies for cross posting**

The year is coming to an end, but there’s still time to take advantage of
educational offerings from the National Information Standards Organization.
All are invited to join us next month for an open teleconference update
<https://www.niso.org/events/2023/12/opentelecon-jats> on a standard
critical to scholarly publishing: the Journal Article Tag Suite (JATS). And
If you’re ready to put 2023 behind you, our December webinar focuses on the
future with a look at trends on the horizon
<https://www.niso.org/events/trend-spotting-trend-setting>—just in time for
2024!

OPEN TELECONFERENCE | FREE AND OPEN TO ALL

Journal Article Tag Suite (JATS) Update
<https://www.niso.org/events/2023/12/opentelecon-jats>

Monday, December 11, 3:00–4:00 pm ET (US/Canada)

The Journal Article Tag Suite (JATS) is an XML format used to describe
scientific literature published online. Developed by NISO and approved by
the American National Standards Institute (Z39.96-2021), the project was a
continuation of the work done by the National Library of Medicine/National
Center for Biotechnology Information and popularized by the NLM's PubMed
Central as a *de facto *standard for the archiving and interchange of
scientific open access journals and their contents. In our next Open
Teleconference, NISO Associate Executive Director Nettie Lagace will join
the co-chairs of the JATS Standing Committee for a discussion of this
important standard and an update on the latest news.

Confirmed speakers: Jeff Beck, Literature Program Head, National Center for
Biotechnology Information (NCBI), and B. Tommie Usdin, President, Mulberry
Technologies, Inc.

Registration is not required for open teleconferences. See our event page
<https://www.niso.org/events/2023/12/opentelecon-jats> for dial-in
information.

MONTHLY ROUNDTABLE WEBINAR | FREE FOR NISO MEMBERS

Trend Spotting, Trend Setting
<https://www.niso.org/events/trend-spotting-trend-setting>

Wednesday, December 13, 11:00 am–12:30 pm ET (US/Canada)

In a decade that has already tested our resilience, what should we
anticipate and prepare for in the coming year? Where are the opportunities,
and what will be the Next Big Thing? Join information industry leaders as
they explore the shifts and trends we should follow.

Moderator: Alice Meadows, Co-founder, MoreBrains Cooperative

Confirmed speakers: Juan Pablo Alperin, Associate Director of Research, The
Public Knowledge Project, Simon Fraser University; Alison Denby, US Vice
President, Journals, Oxford University Press; Cindy Hohl, Director, Policy
Analysis, Kansas City Public Library and American Library Association
President-Elect; Daniel Hook, CEO, Digital Science; and Karin Wulf,
Director and Librarian, John Carter Brown Library and Professor of History,
Brown University.

Registration is not required for NISO members.  Sign-on Instructions are
emailed to member organization webinar contacts.  For further information
and to confirm your webinar contact, please contact [log in to unmask]
Non-NISO members, please register
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-webinar-trend-spotting-trend-setting-registration-440961235927>
(includes unlimited attendees from your organization). The recording will
be shared with all registered attendees.

End 2023 on a high note and attend a NISO event in December! In the
meantime, remember to visit our events page
<https://www.niso.org/events/upcoming> for the latest on programs,
speakers, and additional professional development opportunities.

Best wishes,

The NISO Team