Alison, I can't help with the "how-to" but I do like the way that the
Open Library displays subjects and related subjects broken into
"subject, places, people, times":

https://openlibrary.org/subjects/evolution

What looks helpful to me is the treatment of subdivisions by their
nature. (The correlation of related subjects is very interesting, but
that may not be what you are aiming at.) It does look to me that you may
need to use more than the 650 fields, as some topics seem to be covered
in both a 650 and another 6xx:

# 650_0 |*a* Estuaries |*z* Erie, Lake |*v* Congresses.
# 651_0 |*a* Erie, Lake |*v* Congresses.

(Don't get me started on the mess that LCSH is.)

kc

--
Karen Coyle
http://kcoyle.net