From the message, I'm guessing that Charles actually means "stringiness."

It's been a minute since I was in charge of a 3d printer, but I am guessing the issue is the print speed. Try making it slower. This article also suggests 5 different settings you can adjust:
https://all3dp.com/2/3d-print-stringing-easy-ways-to-prevent-it/

I agree with Erich that the issue is probably not the stl file itself, but the settings on the printer. In my experience, 3d printing is all about trial and error, and having some failures is expected. However, I wouldn't consider a print with some strings "failed," since they can be broken/sanded off.

Lena

Lena Bohman
Senior Data Management and Research Impact Librarian
Long Island Jewish - Forest Hills Liaison
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
[cid:0458a572-7c23-42c9-ac1c-4a8c653e135f]
________________________________
From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Hammer, Erich F <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, January 8, 2024 10:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] 3D Print - Correcting a Thingiverse .stl

EXTERNAL MESSAGE

Charles,

First, I was surprised that for generously shared plans someone would complain about "stinginess".  ☺

Second, while I have not designed 3-D prints nor used a 3-d printer, my teenage son has several different kinds of 3-D printers at home and has done a lot of printing and troubleshooting with his.  From his descriptions, the vast majority of the time the issue is not the design and is not fixable by adjusting the STL file, but rather something with the printer.  For example, he has had to tweak the temperature depending on which brand (not just type) of filament he gets.  For some highly regarded plans, he had to bump the scale by 0.5% when nobody else did or things just wouldn’t fit.  He independently replaced the print head, the feeder and the bed to get more consistent prints because the stock ones were just not quite right.

I guess what I'm saying is that in my observation, consistently successful 3-D printing -- like metalworking or carpentry (or photography, programming, precision driving, music, etc.) -- requires a nuanced understanding of your particular tools/equipment.  Well-designed tools/equipment will allow less knowledgeable users to produce better results with less knowledge, but 3D printers -- like automobiles in the 1920s -- are not quite there yet.  You might get pointed in the right direction from a website, but trial and error are more likely to be your teacher.

Good luck,
Erich

On Saturday, January 6, 2024 at 11:35, Charles Meyer eloquently inscribed:

**** CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Hofstra University. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. ****