> On Feb 12, 2024, at 8:58 AM, Hammer, Erich F <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Charles,
>
> To the best of my knowledge, the only feature differences between a "TV" and an LCD monitor is that the former has a tuner (and a coax connection) and usually integrated (if poor) speakers.

…

Besides the issue already mentioned, TVs also typically have a longer delay between when they get their signal and display the image.  There are two issues… what they call ‘input lag’ (delay before the TV gets the signal) and ‘response time’ (time to get the image displayed)

Although for many uses this isn’t a big problem, it’s an issue for gaming that requires fast reaction times.  It can also be an issue for multi-monitor setups, if one display has a dramatically different delay from the other, and you’re doing video work.

The good news is that there are some guides out there on how to disable features (like trying to “improve” images) on many TVs to reduce the response time.  Many TVs now have a specific “game mode”, too.

…

But I would also beware of getting *too* large of a display.  Not because of number of pixels, but because of neck strain.  I’ve been using a 30” monitor for about two decades now (it pre-dates the HD standards, so is a non-standard 2560x1600).  If you’re sitting close to a large monitor, you end up looking back and forth a lot… you may also have to look up and down a lot.

I would recommend staying around 27” or smaller for a display that someone is going to be sitting directly in front of.  If it’s going to be used for a teaching/collaboration setup, you may need to go larger as people are going to be further away, but it may be less comfortable for general use.

And as this is in a shared environment, you may also need to either reduce the resolution, or turn on adaptive settings so everything isn’t tiny on a 4k monitor/TV

-Joe