Why do we -- librarians -- point people to splash/landing pages instead of the actual content?

We digitize stuff. We describe it. We put it on the Web. And then we point people to the descriptions instead of the real things. I understand the need/desire to make people aware of the metadata, but the metadata does not really give a link to the real thing. Instead, I must look over a splash/landing page, identify the download link, and click. Such is fine for a single one-off item, but when there are dozens (if not hundreds) of desirable items, then I am inhibited from click/save, click/save, click/save, etc.

--
Eric Morgan <[log in to unmask]>