Dear Katherine,

thanks for your question! I can not answer in the name of the
editorial team, so the following are personal thoughts.

> Are you saying you will not accept papers where the topic relates to personal data?
Papers, that utilize individuals’ personal data. That is our will,
until we do not have a clear process how and what to check in such
proposals.

> I am also slightly bemused that even a basic understanding of PowerBI files was beyond the expertise of the entire editorial committee of a coding journal.
First: there are quite a number of technologies in the Code4Lib space.
I personally use R, Python, spreadsheets, Apache Spark and JavaScript
libraries for data analysis and visualization, but never worked with
PowerBI. In the journal each paper have and editor and a second
reader, they are responsible for checking the details, for others it
is an option. It is possible that an editor who have an expertise in
technology X is involved in many other papers, and no energy left for
one which also has something on X.

> is this not something the editors can initiate themselves with some research?
No, we invited colleagues to share knowledge with us, but it does not
mean, that we put the responsibility to the community. We are aware
some subsets of the relevant literature, but none of us have an expert
knowledge, so we asked for help in this process. If we will not get
any help, we will do it ourselves.

Best,
Péter