This email is an invitation to participate in the DLF Assessment Interest Group’s (DLF AIG) working group on Cultural Assessment in 2024. There is more information about the group below, but first, a few words about participating in DLF AIG.

The only requirement for participation in a DLF AIG working group is a willingness to dig in and devote a small part of your time contributing to the tools, methods, and body of knowledge on digital library assessment. Attendance at the DLF forum is not a requirement for participation in any of the working groups. Additionally, if your institution is not a DLF member, you can still participate.

Cultural Assessment Working Group

The charge of the Cultural Assessment Working Group (CAWG) is to raise awareness of cultural bias and strive for diversity, equity and inclusivity in digital collection practice to create more inclusive cultures and to mitigate or expose collection bias. Where such practice is lacking, create new frameworks that uphold CAWG values.

The Inclusive Metadata Task Force within CAWG has been working on an Inclusive Metadata Toolkit, and completing the toolkit is a priority for CAWG in 2024.

Learn more about what we do on our Cultural Assessment Working Group wiki page.

CAWG Goals for 2024

CAWG meets monthly, and the meetings for the first part of 2024 will be focused on the Inclusive Metadata Toolkit.

We have also had meetings focused on sharing, reading, and discussion of topics related to cultural competency and digital library interventions, and we’ll resume other work and determine our next areas of focus later in the year once the toolkit is completed and launched.

How can you participate?

Sign up for the Cultural Assessment Working Group Google Group indicating your interests and drop in on any of our meetings. You may also email the co-facilitators Alexandra Provo and Jackson Huang indicating your interest. Any CAWG participant can post resources to or start discussions on the Google Group – so feel free to share.

Our monthly meetings happen from 2:00 – 3:00pm ET on the second Monday of the month.

Join our next Inclusive Metadata Toolkit working meeting Monday, March 11, 2:00 – 3:00pm ET.

We’re especially interested in participants who can contribute expertise to the toolkit sections about advocacy, assessment, and implementation case studies, but welcome anyone with interest or background in inclusive metadata, regardless of experience.

DLF AIG Social Hour 2024

The DLF AIG, including CAWG, will be hosting a virtual Social Hour on Thursday, February 22nd from 12-1 Eastern / 11 - 12 Central / 10 - 11 Mountain / 9 - 10 Pacific. This session will introduce participants to the various AIG working groups, review accomplishments, and learn more about future plans. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions of working group leaders as well.

To attend the DLF AIG Social Hour on Thursday, February 22nd, please sign up here: https://clirdlf.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwsd-ChrTItGNXhAVWWcCHIVc-To4_riJaz#/registration

For questions about the larger DLF Assessment Interest Group, contact the DLF AIG co-leaders, Kate Flynn [log in to unmask] and Santi Thompson [log in to unmask]

Thank you for participating in the DLF AIG!

Alexandra Provo ([log in to unmask]) and Jackson Huang ([log in to unmask])

Co-facilitators for CAWG