Call for participation in Legal Due Diligence Subcommittee, part of DLF
Born Digital Access Working Group

This email is an invitation to participate in the DLF Born Digital Access
Working Group (DLF BDAWG) subcommittee on Legal Due Diligence in 2024.

The only requirement for participation in a DLF BDAWG working group, or
subcommittee, is an interest in our work and a desire to devote a portion
of your time to our goals. Attendance at the DLF forum is not a requirement
for participation in any of the working groups. Additionally, if your
institution is not a DLF member, you can still participate.

The DLF Born-Digital Access Working Group, formed in 2017, produces
research on and advances the practice of providing access to born-digital
collections. Current activities center on researching born-digital access
practices, determining levels of access for born-digital materials, and
hosting archivist bootcamps to share ideas and tools for providing access
to born-digital materials.

While our primary focus is currently on participatory archival research &
development, we are intentionally situated under the Digital Library
Federation to connect across disciplinary silos. We welcome any librarians
or other types of workers who are concerned with providing access to
born-digital data of any age into our community and projects.

Our objective is to create a community of practice and engagement around
issues related to born-digital access. To learn more go to:
https://www.diglib.org/groups/bdawg/

Legal Due Diligence Subcommittee Goal for 2024

The Legal Due Diligence subcommittee was established in 2020 to assess
issues around privacy, copyright, and other legal risks related to
providing access to born-digital archival records, and to share this
assessment in a centralized place. As a result of this group's
collaborative research effort “The Legal and Ethical Considerations for
Born-Digital Access” <https://osf.io/ketr7/> was published in June of 2022.
This subcommittee is now being reestablished for the purpose of updating
this document to include considerations related to AI.

We are looking for volunteers to join the Legal Due Diligence Subcommittee
and participate in this collaborative effort to update the document. Please
contact Nicole Scalessa (BDAWG Co-chair), [log in to unmask], if you are
interested.

--

Nicole H. Scalessa

Head of Digital Scholarship and Technology Services

(845) 437-5219 <+18454375219>

she, her, hers

*Book an appointment with me!*
<https://calendar.app.google/3pngUP4EE4GAKyf38>

Digital Scholarship Services Collaboration
<https://dissco.vassarspaces.net/>

(DiSSCo) Zoom <https://vassar.zoom.us/j/2989322219> Office Hours Mondays
2-3PM

My working day may not be your working day. Please don’t feel obliged to
[image: Vassar] <https://www.vassar.edu/> [image: Vassar-Libraries]
<https://library.vassar.edu/>[image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/Vassar?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor>
 [image: Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/vassarcollege> [image: