John,

I don't remember the details of what you were looking to do, nor do I know what options you have for your kiosk.  If you have the option to use the Pale Moon browser (https://www.palemoon.org/), then you might get what you want with the FiErr extension (https://realityripple.com/Software/XUL/Fierr/)

Erich

On Wednesday, March 27, 2024 at 11:24, John Lolis eloquently inscribed:

> I thought I'd provide an update on my attempts at having a custom error
> page returned at an OPAC.
>
> I started looking into hacking the error pages in Firefox itself
> (thanks, Kaleb!), but due to code-signing requirements, it seemed like a
> rabbit hole I'd want to avoid, at least for now (even though Easter is
> upon us :-).  So I set up a Squid proxy server with the necessary
> network restrictions and a custom error page as previously reported, and
> I thought I nailed it until I found that this only works for HTTP
> requests.  If it's HTTPS, the browser returns its own error.  This
> behavior is apparently ubiquitous with all browsers according to what I
> found.  Here's the most exhaustive posting I've found on the subject:
> https://squid-users.squid-cache.narkive.com/527KMD5K/squid-custom-
> error-page
>
> I don't suppose there's an extension that forces HTTP instead of HTTPS.  So
> far I've found plenty that will rewrite a URL, but they only rewrite the
> address portion, and not the protocol.
>
> John Lolis
> Coordinator of Computer Systems
>
> 100 Martine Avenue
> White Plains, NY  10601
> tel: 1.914.422.1497
> fax: 1.914.422.1452
>
> https://whiteplainslibrary.org/

 *“I would rather have questions that can’t be answered than answers that
 can’t be questioned.”* — Richard Feynman
 <https://click.fourhourmail.com/5qure95xkf7hvvo93wh2/7qh7h8h05vr4zrtz/
 aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvUmljaGFyZF9GZXlubWFu>,
 theoretical physicist and recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965