Tbh if a computer refuses to eject a flash drive I just pull it out. Then it'll complain, and I'll click "Okay", and that's the end of the matter. I've never seen any other consequences.

Does anyone know, could doing this even theoretically cause data corruption? Or is it just a safeguard to prevent people ejecting the drive while a file is open, then later trying to save the file and getting upset that they lost their work?

Deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of charles meyer
Sent: Sunday, March 3, 2024 9:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Windows 10 - Safe to Eject Flash Drive

Caution: This email originated from outside our organisation. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

My esteemed listmates,

XP and W7 never seemed to have this issue but it's huge with W10.

I 'll insert a flash drive into my laptop. I'll open that flash drive in File Explorer and open a Word file.

I'll then open  2-3 browsers and other applications and then close the flash drive file opened and close FE but W10 won;t prived the Safe to Eject Flash drive.

I often have to close all my browsers (what do they have  to do with the one file I opened in FE?) and yet I still can't get the safe to eject.

There have been times I've had  to reboot the laptop just to eject the flash drive.

Has anyone found a fi for this with W10?

Thank you,

Charles.

Charlotte County Public Library

"The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) may be confidential and/or subject to copyright. Any unauthorised use, distribution, or copying of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by return e-mail or telephone and then delete this e-mail together with all attachments from your system."