Hi all,

I'm wondering if other folks are seeing AI and/or ML-related crawlers like
GPTBot accessing your library's website, catalog, digital collections, or
other sites.

If so, are you blocking or disallowing these crawlers? Has anyone come up
with any policies around this?

We're debating whether to allow these types of bots to crawl our digital
collections, many of which contain large amounts of copyrighted or "no
derivatives"-licensed materials. On one hand, these materials are available
for public view, but on the other hand the type of use that GPTBot and the
like are after (integrating the content into their models) could be
characterized as creating a derivative work, which is expressly discouraged.

Thanks,

Eben English (he/him/his)
Digital Repository Services Manager
Boston Public Library