My esteemed listmates,

I have a seemingly good surge protector I plug my laptop and a weather
radio into when I get home each night.

No apparent issues.

Some techy said my surge protector could be shot and I wouldn't know.

I asked how do I test if it's still protecting and he dodged the question.

I have an old UPS which needed a new battery which I got but each time I'd
bring it home and plug the UPS into a good outlet and at 2:30 am it would
sound off and wake everyone up. 3 different times with 3 different
batteries for the UPS it did this and and the guy at Interstate Battery
just shrugged.

Now a guy says I need a Tripp Lite line conditioner $170!

How can I economically protect my laptop plugged in for 2-3 hours and a
small weather radio?

Thank you,

Charles.

Charlotte County Public Library