Yeah, I'm a little nervous about providing advice in this situation. I do not want to recommend Scopus or Web of Science; we've had vendor complaints about people going over the data limit. I am going to emphasize open data sources and crediting the data to be safe. They are using Beautiful Soup and APIs to get the data.

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Pikas, Christina K.
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2024 10:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [CODE4LIB] web scraping to train LLM

There be dragons!  In particular don't mention "scraping" anywhere within distance of A. C. S.  Open collections are probably your best bet. Maybe something from NIST for reference data and then things like Semantic Scholar.

Many/most publishers have hastily constructed "NO AI" rules ... which forbid everything, even things which are clearly fair use.