Karen Coyle asked, "Eric, have you identified a solution?", and the short answer is, "Sort of"; I will probably will put literals (not URIs) in my metadata values, and thus my XHTML will look like this:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
	<head>
	  <title>Reading Journal of eScience Librarianship: Responsible AI in Libraries and Archives</title>
	</head>

My goal is not about robots reading my metadata as much as it is about reading the metadata myself. I will write sets of well-formed and valid XHTML, as defined by the DTD.  Once I write many such files, I can have a system of tiny scripts loop through them to create index pages in many formats: XHTML, TSV, CSV, JSON, and eventually RDF/XML. The fledgling system can be seen here, temporarily:

  https://distantreader.org/stacks/carrels-curated/bin/

The beginnings of an automatically created XHTML page pointing to the set of XHTML files can be found here:

  https://distantreader.org/stacks/carrels-curated/

But remember, "Software is never done, and if it were, then it would be called 'hardware'."  :-D

Thank you for your interest.

--
Eric Morgan
Navari Family Center for Digital Scholarship