The J. Murrey Atkins Library at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte
is seeking a Digital
Programs Archivist (Visiting Professor). The Digital Programs Archivist will:
* Develop, implement, and provide leadership for digital initiatives involving SpecialCollections materials and services
* Provide leadership for rare cataloging and for cataloging university archives, manuscripts,oral history, local documents and historical maps
* Manage and coordinate grant implementation for Special Collections
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is a rapidly growing research
intensive Universityoffering over 25,000 students a variety
of undergraduate, master's and doctoral programs in
sevenacademic colleges. UNC Charlotte's Atkins Library is a
comprehensive research library with over42,000 serial
titles and an annual budget of over $10 million.
UNC Charlotte is located in the largest city in North Carolina, a beautiful
southern city of 600,000with over 1.5 million in the
greater metropolitan area, and the second largest banking center in
thenation in one of the fastest growing regions in the
country. Located on a 1,000 acre wooded
campus,the University is accessible to the city's
performing arts and cultural and sports events and
* Master's degree in Library and Information Science from a program accredited by the AmericanLibrary Association or other relevant master's degree
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
_Digital Collections Responsibilities_
* Collaborate in planning, creating, and managing digital collections
* Implement quality control procedures
* Prioritize and coordinate digital production
* Investigate, plan, and manage format conversions and migration
* Investigate and provide leadership in the implementation of appropriate metadata standards
* Maintains and expands web applications on the Special Collections Website using standardscompliant markup, emerging web technologies, and best practices.
* Collaborate in the planning, development, and implementation of electronic records preservationand access, particularly for University Archives related collections and manuscript collections
* Identify and collaborate with technical partners in Library IT dept, UNC ITS, and the College ofComputing and Informatics to design and implement creative applications for access andpreservation
* Share responsibility for reference service in Special Collections with other department faculty andstaff.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Supervises a staff of 1 librarian and 2.75 SPA
* Oversees the flow of the cataloging of university archives, manuscripts, oral history, localdocuments and historical maps
* Works with managers and other library colleagues to integrate the department into the mainstream of library operations
* Provides leadership in defining preservation and access protocols for born-digital materials
* Coordinates with AUL for Special Collections and other staff on public relations, fund raising,and grant writing
* Demonstrated organizational skills in planning, prioritizing, and achieving goals
* Experience in the development and maintenance of web sites.
* Experience with digital collections architecture and infrastructure.
* Experience developing functional requirements and workflows for programmers building newcontent management applications and databases.
* Experience with Digital Asset Management Systems
* Experience writing, obtaining, and managing grants
* Experience with HTML, XML, CSS, and XSL
* Experience with Drupal
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
* Broad understanding of archival and digital technology related activities in an academic researchlibrary setting
* Knowledge of emerging trends in digital technologies and archival practice and Archivist Toolkit,Archon etc
* Knowledge of standards-based metadata schema, such as EAD, XML, MODS, and METS
* Knowledge of digital archival and records management principles and practices
* Knowledge of digital preservation best practices and standards for a variety of formats
* Ability to think creatively and problem solve.
* Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally
* Ability to take initiative and work independently and collaboratively
* Record of successful performance of duties in prior job(s)
* Knowledge of principles, practices, and trends in archival administration and in historicalscholarship, methodology, and the use of sources
* Ability to manage staff and provide day to day guidance
* Ability to relate to users at a variety of educational levels
* Ability to plan, coordinate and implement effective programs, complex projects, and services
* Knowledge of the history of North Carolina or the South.
* Knowledge of rare cataloging of archival and special collections materials
* Knowledge of MARC, AACR2r, RDA, LCRI, LCSH, DCRB or DCRM(B); related catalogingtools (III Millennium Cataloging Module, OCLC Connexion, ClassWeb, Cataloger's Desktop)
* Evidence of professional growth and mastery of ASERL competencies relevant to the specific jobassignment
* Ability to climb ladders and to lift boxes weighing up to 40 lbs. to retrieve materials forresearchers
* Full-time Visiting Professor
* 1 year contract
* Reports to the Interim Associate University Librarian for Special Collections
* Excellent benefits package
* Salary: $40,000 Minimum
ONLY ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED: https://jobs.uncc.edu/
(Search Faculty Vacancies - Position #9294)
The following Application Materials must be attached to your electronic
* Cover letter
* Names (including titles and company/institutions), addresses, phone numbers, and emailaddresses of at least 3 professional references.
The Search Committee will not contact references without contacting the
candidate first and verifying
Applications must be received by July 1, 2012.
For further details about Atkins Library, please consult our web site:
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/1062/