Under the general direction of the Director of Information Technology Services (ITS), the Head of Support Desk Operations oversees the operations of the Service Desk team within Library ITS. The position serves the entire University Libraries system, which includes libraries in Blacksburg, the National Capital Region, the Health Science and Technology Innovation District in Roanoke, and provides technical expertise and management of the Libraries’ IT Service Desk, the central point of contact between ITS and the faculty and staff of the Library and the focal point for reporting incidents and for making service requests. The Head of Support Desk Operations provides managerial leadership and expertise in designing and planning for future development, taking into account the service strategy and newly available technologies to enhance the growth and effectiveness of the Libraries’ services.
The Head of Support Desk Operations leads and/or oversees the following support services:
- Responsible for overseeing and performing as needed all Service Desk operations, including tier 1 support, incident escalation and routing, operating procedure documentation, support phone coverage and scheduling, and management of the physical Service Desk space.
- Works closely with the Asset Manager, the Head of Desktop, and the Purchasing Department to ensure equipment purchase requests are in line with library technology standards and that these hardware requests are fulfilled in accordance with university policy and purchasing procedures.
- Works with library HR and administrative support to ensure technology asset assignment and distribution during employee onboarding and offboarding is conducted in an efficient and timely manner.
- Oversees asset management by supervising the Asset Coordinator to ensure all library technology assets are properly recorded and tracked. This position will also act as a library point of contact for University Fixed Assets.
- Participates in the department’s plan to continually improve support services through regular reporting on current operations, assessing the efficiency of current support services, and providing improvement recommendations.
- Responsible for Support Services employee training and supervision.
- Evaluates ITSM system components for use in library business operations, recommends implementation or decommissioning projects, acts as technical lead on these projects, supplies regular assessment on effectiveness and recommendations for improvements to components in use. This includes maintaining an up-to-date Service Catalog with appropriate workflows, approvals, and request items.
- Works in collaboration with and as a liaison to the university ServiceNow support team within the VT Division of Information Technology to ensure all library interactions taking place in ServiceNow remain up to date and compatible with central system settings and updates.
- Collaborate with subunits within IT Operations and Archive and Technology Support to create catalog items to collect information for IT Service Requests.
The Head of Support Desk Operations may serve on other Library committees as appropriate.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/49002-head-of-support-desk-operations