CUPA-HR has an opening for the position of Data Visualization Developer with these primary functions:
A. DATA VISUALIZATION
· Create charts, graphs, infographics, dashboards, interactive graphics, and other
types of data visualizations that are innovative, striking, and that convey data stories.
· Oversee and manage the processes for embedding data visualizations online.
B. DATA INTERPRETATION
· Analyze data to uncover relationships and trends.
· Aid in providing context and telling stories with data.
· Champion data visualization best practices.
C. PROJECT MANAGEMENT
· Identify target audiences and stakeholders.
· Manage multiple projects and timelines.
· Manage expectations in an environment of change.
· Take ownership of and lead the data visualization process for each project.
The Data Visualization Developer performs functions that support the mission of maintaining CUPA-HR’s position as the platinum standard for higher ed workforce research and building CUPA-HR’s capacity to communicate data that inform decisions around higher ed workforce issues. The Data Visualization Developer must fully understand how to interpret data, translate trends and patterns found in the data to the appropriate data visualization, utilize software to create data visualizations that are readily communicated to and understood by a lay audience, and use appropriate language and code to embed data visualizations on websites and in documents.
The Data Visualization Developer collaborates with other members of the research team, communications and marketing team, other CUPA-HR staff members, software vendors, and members of the higher ed HR community to develop effective methods for communicating data visually that enable higher ed HR leadership to make informed decisions about hiring, retaining, and compensating staff and faculty talent; making progress in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives; and improving and advocating for the higher ed workforce. Thus, this position requires an ability to collaborate, communicate, and manage various stakeholders in achieving project goals.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK
The Data Visualization Developer reports to the Director of Research, who prioritizes and assigns all work. The Data Visualization Developer is expected to be proactive, work both independently and collaboratively, and organize and prioritize tasks to assure timely delivery of objectives, staying consistent with the mission, goals, and established standards and strategic priorities of the association. Further, the Data Visualization Developer must represent CUPA-HR in a professional, accurate, and responsive manner when handling external and internal communications. Also, it is of utmost importance that the Data Visualization Developer maintains the confidentiality of association information.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND EDUCATION REQUIRED
· Requires substantial experience in data visualization with real data.
· Experience with designing, encoding, and presenting graphics online is required.
· Extensive experience with at least one data visualization tool (e.g., Tableau,
Infogram, D3, R/Shiny) is required. Experience with more than one is a plus.
· Experience with at least one programming language (e.g., D3, Python, R) related to the implementation of interactive web graphics is required. Experience with more than one is a plus.
· Ability to generate innovative and visually striking charts, graphs, infographics,
dashboards, and interactive graphics is required.
· Must be detail and deadline oriented.
· Must be able to accept constructive criticism and integrate feedback from multiple
sources in moving from conception to final design.
· Must have excellent communication and presentation skills.
· Should possess a basic knowledge of data analysis, particularly descriptive statistics
Graduate degree in data visualization, data analytics, data science, information design, or another related field is preferred. Equivalent applied experience may substitute for formal education experience.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND BENEFITS
Position is a regular, full-time, exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Some evening hours, weekend work, and travel will be required. Work arrangements are flexible and include the ability to work remotely. Remote workers will be required to travel to the Knoxville office on occasion (some travel expenses will be reimbursed).
Benefits for regular, full-time employees consist of:
- Very generous organization contribution to medical and dental benefits.
- 10% CUPA-HR contribution to retirement savings plan with required employee contribution of 5%.
- Generous vacation and sick leave and 12 paid holidays. This typically includes paid time off between December 24 and January 1.
- Basic life insurance funded by CUPA-HR for all employees.
- A great, collaborative, casual working environment with an organization that has a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A flexible work schedule.
- Professional development opportunities, including tuition reimbursement.
Applications will be accepted starting November 16, 2021. To apply, go to the following link:
A resume or vita, cover letter, and portfolio of data visualization work done to date are required to apply. Also, provide the names and contact information for three references. Review of application information will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/50536-data-visualization-developer